Skip to main content

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How is a company like Comcast able to get away with spam?

Ask HN: How is a company like Comcast able to get away with spam?
37 by jc_811 | 17 comments on Hacker News.
I recently signed up for Comcast Xfinity internet (only one available in my area), and ever since I signed up I receive marketing emails almost daily that do not have an unsubscribe link because they are marked as "service related emails". I've unsubscribed from every single email preference in my account, and even went so far to confirm with their support agents that I did it correctly. However, almost daily I receive emails about "See what your wifi can do" or "Don't forget about these new features" etc, that are clearly marketing and not service related. Browsing forums online it seems there are countless others who have the same complaints as me. So, my main question is, how can a company get away with this when it is blatantly in violation of the CAN-SPAM Act? Is it truly just too difficult for any individual to hire a lawyer and go up against Goliath? Does the CAN-SPAM act have any loopholes I'm not aware of that would allow this? I'm genuinely curious to this, and do not want to come off as just an angry customer ranting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artificial intelligence model finds potential drug molecules a thousand times faster

submitted by /u/Sweep145 [link] [comments] from /r/Technology https://bit.ly/3IEQZaK via IFTTT

Tesla is raising the price of its full self-driving option

In a few weeks, Tesla buyers will have to pay more for an option that isn’t yet completely functional, but that CEO Elon Musk promises will one day deliver full autonomous driving capabilities. Musk tweeted Saturday that the price of its full self-driving option will “increase substantially over time” beginning May 1. Tesla vehicles are not self-driving. Musk has promised that the advanced driver assistance capabilities on Tesla vehicles will continue to improve until eventually reaching that full automation high-water mark. Please note that the price of the Tesla Full Self-Driving option will increase substantially over time — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 13, 2019 Musk didn’t provide a specific figure, but in response to a question on Twitter, he said the increase would be “something like” around the $3,000+ figure. Full self-driving currently costs $5,000. Something like that — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 13, 2019 The price hike comes amid several notable changes a...