Skip to main content

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How does my Instagram keep getting compromised?

Ask HN: How does my Instagram keep getting compromised?
113 by china | 76 comments on Hacker News.
I was an early Instagram user and got my nickname as my handle and I keep getting either locked out of my account or compromised altogether. Over the years, hackers have tried a number of things to steal my handle and I can usually tell how they get in. These days, I have no idea. I've been SIM swapped a handful of times. One time a hacker faxed a fake ID to Godaddy to try and swap out my domain to gain control of my email (they were successful). Now, I will try to log in to my account and will just be locked out. The email I created specifically for Instagram is not recognized, and there is no way to reset my password. I have two-factor auth on, I don't use the same password anywhere else, I change it regularly, etc. My current theory is there is some employee at Meta that's ultimately stealing the account. Does anybody have any idea how they're hacking me? PS: the worst part about all this is in order to get the handle back, I have to pull strings with folks I know at Meta, for a normal user, they would have absolutely no way of regaining access... [Update] Just got the account back and still have no idea how my email was removed from the account... [Update 2] Reviewing the security section I see a password reset email was sent to [username]@instagramz.com. No clue how or who changed the account email to that though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Former Employees Are Suing TikTok for Having to Watch 'Extremely Disturbing' Videos

submitted by /u/Defiant_Race_7544 [link] [comments] from /r/Technology https://bit.ly/3NxIWhY via IFTTT

Misinformation on Reddit has become unmanageable, 3 Alberta moderators say

submitted by /u/helpmeredditimbored [link] [comments] from /r/Technology https://bit.ly/3tXKiZM via IFTTT